Header

Header

Friday, February 19, 2010

What I want to be when I grow up

I remember the terrible dread of having to give a speech in Mr. Anfinson's 5th grade class. I was a pretty shy girl. (Believe it or not.) I remember the days leading up to it. I remember sitting in the class waiting for my turn. I actually remember standing in front of the class for those awful three minutes. I do not remember, however, what my speech was on. Not that it really matters.

Chloe (my fourth grader) just participated in the patriotic program at school. She was a bundle of nerves all week and I totally sympathized with her. I remember the freaking out feeling of having to talk to a group of people. She pushed through it and did a fabulous job as Clara Barton. I was and am so proud of her.

Now the funny thing is...I also had a speaking gig this week. I got to talk to around a hundred mommies about marriage. It was a blast! No dread. No fear. Just the comfort of knowing myself and what I am capable of and knowing my God and knowing He has equipped me to do just this. If you could've shown the forty one year old me to the ten year old me, I don't think she would've believed it.

This was the first time I've spoken to a group outside of my home church. I've been in front of smaller groups and larger groups, but always with people I know in the audience. So, my only reservation was that it would be somehow different...that I wouldn't be quite myself.

Well, no worries. I was 100% me...no compromises. I do have to say, it was a fabulous group of women. They were warm and welcoming. And (thankfully!) they laughed at my jokes.  I love how motherhood creates this fabulous universal bond. We don't all live the same lives, but we have amazingly similar experiences. I was comfortable. The mommies were comfortable. And I have to say...a good time was had by all.

I think this is what I want to be when I grow up.
Writing or speaking - I want to be:  
Beth Hilbert - Mommy Encourager!

1 comment:

  1. If there were a "like" button on your blog I'd hit it. I like this whole "mommy encourager" gig you've got goin' on!

    ReplyDelete