Header

Header

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm on a Boat

I'm on a Boat has been running though my head since Sunday (sans bad words). I looked all over the internet for a clean version of the song, but no dice. Even the beeped out versions didn't beep enough in my opinion...so I won't set up a link. There was a chipmunk version, but that was just slightly less offensive to my ears than the profanity.

Okay...I'm reeling it back in for my point...

Our Sermon on Sunday (by Pastor Ben J.) was on Mark 4:35-41. Hold on...I'll look it up and pop it in here for you...

Jesus Calms the Storm - Mark 4:35-41


That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"


He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"


They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"


These are the three points in our notes:
1. Storms come even when we are with Jesus.
2. Fear comes when we lack faith in Jesus.
3. Reverential fear comes when we realize the authority of Jesus.

Okay, so, it was one of those times when I was sure God told Ben to do this sermon especially for me. Ever been there? You know, when you know you have an appointment to hear something that God needs you to remember.

Here's the deal. I'm on the boat. I can picture myself there. In my version the boat is yellow. I don't know why. I am drenched. The waves are far above my head. I didn't ask for this. Okay, yes, I got on the boat, but I expected it to be a gentle ride. I'm seasick. I'm confused. And I sure can't paddle myself to safety.

But, I notice Jesus is with me. I'd forgotten. How do I forget my Savior is with me? Don't know. But, I do...on a regular basis.Well, here's an idea...I can ask Him for help. Goodness,  He's waiting for me to ask. I'm sort of ticked off that I have to go through this storm so I ask kind of snotty..."Don't you care?"

Okay, I know that God is definately above this...but, I always picture the Holy Eye Roll. "Seriously, child!" How do I know He cares? Um...it's written like a thousand times in my bible.

So, in the real life Bible version, He stops the storm. Eeeert! (that was the sound of car brakes) Calm. Even the wind and the waves obey Him. He can stop my storm at any time. My God is bigger than anything life can throw at me.

There is the comfort. Big God. He's got it all planned out. He's got my back. Will my storm calm? I don't know. But, He knows. And no matter what, it's all for my good.

This scripture is one that I've memorized recently. Ben also used it on Sunday.

But we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. Romans 5:3-5

Maybe He won't calm the storm. But, He's there with me through it. And He's working something in me!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY! How do you even know about this song? I just listened to it online.....I am thinking Grace doesn't play this one while waiting for Pastor Ben to start his sermon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've been drowning in the Sea of storms...As I trust God for the future...And so our sermon on sunday was "Count it all Joy" in the midst of a trial. Yeah...good sermons.

    ReplyDelete