Header

Header

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Never Say Never



You’ve got something. I know you do. It’s that thing that you say you never would or never could do. You are emphatic about it. Your foot’s down. Your arms are crossed in front of you. There is a look in your eye that says, “No way.”

I had something. Actually, I’ve had several somethings over the years. This is what I’ve learned. Never is a word you might just eat. I’m here to tell you, every time I’ve eaten “never” for lunch, I’ve been blessed beyond words.

Here is one of my latest “nevers.” I could never homeschool. Absolutely, there is no way I would ever homeschool. Good grief, who would even want to homeschool? Yeah. I said all that. If you know me, you know I’m not a kid person. Oh, I love my kiddos…I’d just prefer that they spent at least six and a half hours a day not at home. I had gotten to a point where I could go to lunch with the girls. I could have alone time. My house was as clean as it had ever been. I even had a ministry position I loved. Then, for a variety of reasons, homeschool was the obvious best choice for three of my children. Can you imagine my horror? But, I stepped out, sucked it up, and did what I felt I needed to do.

Even as some of you read this, you’re thinking, “But, my never is a firm, for real never. I can’t.” Know what? It makes me chuckle to myself. Know why? God is tricky. You dig in your heels and God smiles. He whispers to your heart to do it anyway, because what you’re really saying is “I can’t do this on my own.” Oh yes. That is God’s specialty. He comes along side us and enables us to do things we could never do on our own.

I have to say, in the middle of the process. I kept wondering if I could trust God. Look at this,

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6.”
If I had leaned on my own understanding and not trusted in what was becoming clear was His plan for our family, I would’ve missed out on terrific blessing. And after all, if we keep on only doing things in our skill set or only things we like doing…….where is the WOW in that?

I get lots of Wow’s these days. People know that this is something God is doing through me. Oh yes, I can homeschool. God has come alongside me and filled in the gaps. And after a full year of teaching, I even like it. That’s huge. That’s something bigger than me. That brings Glory to God.

Of course, it’s something different for you. Do yourself a favor. Take a step back and look at whatever your “I could never….” might be. Maybe God would like you to eat your words, too.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21


The above blog is a piece I wrote a while back for a guest spot at brendagarrison.com. I was doing a bit of blog tidying tonight and I thought I'd repost here. 



2 comments:

  1. Beth, you are such a treasure...I loved the blog and can't wait to read more of your writings! You bring a smile to my face every day with some of your little quips and conversations. Olivia even commented, "Do those things like really happen in her house or does she make them up?" To which I replied, "I don't think you could even begin to make up the stuff she tells." You always put things in perspective, but in a fun way. Keep being YOU! And yay...I was the first to comment...see that's what happens when you get up early:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer. You're so sweet. I love to be able to share my life and life lessons.

    ReplyDelete